Sunday, November 05, 2006

My Musical Journey

I decided some time ago that I Want my career path to involve music. I know that making a living as a musician alone can be hard, but my goal is more of an all inclusive one. I'm just as interested in helping people who have uplifting and inspirational talent get their music out as I am getting my own stuff published. I'm also almost stubbornly independent. I'd much rather learn how do something, understand how it works and get exactly what I'm looking for, rather than pay someone else to do it for me. So natural I fell into a path of production. I've studied the art and science of audio for almost 2 and a half years now. That coupled with 10 years of playing piano and other music experience, and some of the connections I've been able to make within the 3HO community (one I thing I can't say enough about how much I value), I think I'm well on my way.

My biggest regret in my musical journey is not taking more advantage of the Raag vocal training I received while I was in India. I started studying not long after the members of the Chardikala Jatha started, and If I had kept a steady discipline this whole time, I could have taken if very far by now. For me there's nothing quite like a Shabd of the Guru which is slowly developed in the Raag in which it was written by someone who has devoted hours a day for years to be able to give praise to god it this way. As Sikhs, we value Naad Yoga, or the union with a divine and perfect sound current as one of the highest and quickest way attain god consciousness, and Raag Kirtan is the highest of the high. I had the blessing and very unique opportunity to study this technology, I took it for for granted. I should count my blessings though. When I started studying, I already had a somewhat developed musical sense and some raw vocal talent, so I was able get al lot out of the short couple years I took it semi-seriously. Enough so that if I were to renew my practice, with enough discipline and patience, I may be able regain some of what I lost or could've had.
To help renew my inspiration and devotion, here s a picture of our Raag Ustad and members of the Chardikala jetha playing at the Gurduara at Miri Piri Academy (where I went to highschool and was able to study Raag) a good four years ago or so.

He's a teacher in it's a highest form.
The picture was taken by Gurumustuk's brother Dharam Singh who's a natural photographer and is lucky enough to be in India studying right now.

And to continue the spirit and purpose of this blog, here's a recording of the Chardikala Jatha from about a year ago in the Espanola Gurduara.


Ik Ardaas Bhaat Keerat Kee

Download

1 comment:

Hari Singh said...

Sat Darshan,

I really liked your sentiments. I'm also very interested in studying more raag, that's why I'm participating in the raj academy classes here in EspaƱola. I used to think how lucky others are to be able to go to India and study raag with Ustad Narinder. But then I realized that we should be able to accomplish the same thing here. I was almost just as attracted to most of the raag students lifestyle (doing nothing but raag and having everything catered for them) as I was to the raag. Then I realized that if you don't both work (or go to school) and study raag then you're failing to live as a householder and thus you can become detached from the teachings of the Guru. Well in India it's much easier for an American to pay people to do everything for them, then it is to actually find gainfull employment (especially if you don't know the language). So I realized it's actually better to study raag here. Afterall, we still have access to masters. We can go and visit India and study for a few weeks at a time, and various masters come here including Bhai Avtar (before he became ill), Bhai Nirmal, and from what I here Ustad Narinder will becoming next summer.

Also one more comment. You should run your posts through a spell checker before posting them. There's a lot of little mistakes that could easily be weeded out.